Thursday, October 31, 2013

Traveler of Subdued Excitement

My home town of Bellingham, WA is called the city of subdued excitement. This describes my pre-trip musings because I'm busy doing more than planning a "return to my roots" trip. 
To buy this cool shirt click here

I'm also care-giving for my 89 year old mother, sorting through belongings, figuring out what to ship to FL, shopping, planning, and fixing our daily meals, managing meds (pharmacists earn their pay), running stuff to the nearest Goodwill, bringing her to and from doctors and ER visits, managing her finances, Visiting Angels, eye drops, and planning a red carpet flight from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale for her doted over cat. 

I'm on another learning curve transferring important data/apps/books to my new tablet. I look at my mom's ancient typewriter and get nostalgic for the low-tech good old days! 

And I'm also catching up on my long overlooked health needs with multiple visits to the doctor, dentist, and optometrist (everything is ship shape for those taking notes). In between these tasks I'm mourning the loss of my wife, looking wistfully at all my artistic/literary projects on hold, and trying to get in a daily walk. Gabbing in this blog helps me clear my psychic decks.

All this to say, I don't have a lot of time to anticipate my trip to NYC. Isn't anticipation supposed to be part of the fun? I am a traveler of subdued excitement. When we hit Florida tarmac in nineteen days I'll sigh a big sigh of relief. Stay tuned. 

1 comment:

  1. Erik, what a great adventure you are on. As Bilbo used to remind Frodo: “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

    Have many and great unexpected (but safe) adventures, Erik. Praying that the Light of the world lead you through this great adventure. /Mg

    ReplyDelete