Monday, December 16, 2013

Crocker Museum of Art, 12.15.13

The church service I attended this morning ended at eleven. I then checked out of my motel, walked to an office supply store and bought a new pencil eraser (ahh, that felt good), stashed my duffle bag at the train station, and then walked to the Crocker Art Museum. I find the juxtaposition of uber wealth (Crocker was a Sacramento judge whose home and art collection are worth millions), and abject poverty (the homeless literally ate up the benevolence of Hipanics, Buddhists, and Salvation Army workers), oddly reassuring. I want a steady diet of life's weal and woe.
To the rarified world of art dealers I'm what's known as an outsider. I am not part of the elite. I am also one of those whom the insiders look down on because I don't know art but I know what I like. And I saw a LOT at the Crocker that I liked. Each of these pieces evoke nice feelings and deserve further elaboration but I'm typing on my tablet while riding the train through southern Oregon and am somewhat destracted.






2 comments:

  1. Hi! Do you remember the title of this painting and the artist? I was watching "Thor" and there is a scene with his father on his deathbed and it reminded me of this painting that I too, saw at the Crocker. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. H, Belinda! Thanks for writing. It's called, Portrait of My Father and it took 7 years to complete. It was a breath-taking marvel of intricacy and emotion. I've added a few more photos for detail. You're the first one to post on this site in nine months. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete