Saturday, December 7, 2013

Day Two in Washington DC, 12.7.13

Not only did today's beautiful weather make up for yesterday's lousy weather, I got to see the sights I missed AND squeeze in four (count em, four! ) museums. Here is one picture from each museum. (I can't write a lot tonight, I must make reservations for a train to Chicago). The four stellar locations were:

1.  Museum of American History. I felt a little foolish tearing up at seeing Dorothy's ruby slippers, but hey: I still haven't gotten over my childhood crush on the girl from Kansas.

2.  Museum of Natural History. One hasn't lived until they stand under the skelton of a mastodon. My faith in science and scientists was super charged by the displays here (only one one hundredth of which I saw).

3. National Gallery of Art and Sculpture. How those painters made light jump from their canvases astounds me. And please don't get me started on Rembrandt. It's just not fair that one guy had so much talent. And more Van Gogh to give me apoplexy. 

4.  The Crime Museum. I've never seen America's Most Wanted (the originator of that show started this museum) but I am proud to be the father of a law enforcement officer, Deputy Ian Johnson, Burlington Police Force. This unusal museum had Ted Bundy's original VW; evidence in his trial, machine guns from mobsters in Chicago, and cool artifacts about solved and unsolved crimes.

I did not draw today, walked my feet to the bone, and was grateful to carry on this breakneck pace without having to rush anyone. It was a glorius day with many photos to be posted at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment