Friday, December 13, 2013

Denver Art Museum, 12.12.13

After arriving in Denver this morning at 8:30 I sat in the train station as usual and pulled up Google Maps to see how far my motel was from my current location. It was less than 2 miles and the weather was glorious so I hoofed it.  My duffle bag keeps getting heavier with stuff but I needed the exercise after being cooped up for 18 hours.

Once checked in I showered, changed clothes, and got directions from the motel clerk about bus travel. Two dollars and twenty five cents later I'm in downtown Denver with a whole day to kill. I bought a muffin, visited a book store (forced myself to stop adding weight to my luggage although I found some dandy items now duly recorded in my Evernote list of "books to get some day"), and wound my way to the Denver Art Museum.

It astonishes me that throngs aren't lined up to ogle these works of brilliance. There's a football game in town tonight, and jazz clubs, restaurants, businesses to run, and buses to catch. I can't expect everyone to gasp at the things that make me gasp.

Here are some treasures, top to bottom.

Item 1. Graphite on 8' × 10' paper. Breath taking detail all with a pencil!

Item 2. Photo realism paintings 1' × 1' of grass. A dozen paintings of grass!

Item 3. Buddhist sand painting, covered least any one sneeze near it.

Item 4. Roy Liechtenstein of a violin.

Item 5. Bouguereau.  Stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment